Monday, May 29, 2017

Competitor 4: Painting, Cleaning up Electronics

The Competitor 4 is now my go-to "big" rocket for flying, which was formerly Positive Ascent's role.

Even though I've flown it twice already, there was an issue with the electronics in one of the two altimeter setups (Link to first flight). A couple weeks ago, I found and isolated the intermittent power interruption. It turned out that the two piece, riveted positive terminal on the 9V battery holder was making intermittent connection. I removed the wiring from all 4 terminals, and soldered the 2 pieces together on each of the terminals. This should ensure solid continuity for both batteries, so that I truly have a proper redundant set of electronics.

Also, I never finished this rocket (it's still unpainted). There were large, ugly "flats" that resulted from the way I used tape to dam the epoxy from running off while setting up. (Link to post with fillet details.).

Last weekend, I took a Dremel tool the ends of the external epoxy fillets on the fins. Then I used an application of wood filler and sanded. This helped smooth the low spots out prior to using primer on the rocket.







I bought some fluorescent orange and fluorescent green Krylon paint for this rocket. I'd like to make sure it's fairly bright so it's easier to find on the ground (or in a tree etc...) after a flight.



I did a lot of experimenting (in MS Powerpoint) with color schemes, and I've found a few that I like a lot. I did the primer and some of the red and green over the weekend. It's not my best work, and I even had some peeling issues because I was rushing. Instead of striving for perfection, I'm shooting for making it look cool on the pad from a few feet away or more. (The "loud" colors should help distract from the flaws anyway!) Some pictures of the progress (and issues) follow.


























Next up will be the paint on the forward section of the rocket, and the black on the bottom half. Then there will be some black on the top part to do and clear coat on the whole rocket.


No comments:

Post a Comment