Friday, June 22, 2018

2.6" Tomach Build Progress: Fins

Since my last update, I've done the "tip-to-tip" fiberglass on one set of the fins. This should provide an unnecessary level of strength to the fin joints for high performance flights or hard landings.

I'm using 6 oz./ sq. yrd. fiberglass cloth, and I am doing two layers. The first layer is a bit smaller, and the second layer covers the entire fin and airframe tube surfaces.


I used the tape to mark where the smaller, inner piece of fiberglass goes.

The inner pieces cut out from the template that I made from paper.

I used some epoxy with tiny pieces of fiberglass mixed in to first fill the fin/airframe
tube joints. Then I added the small piece of fiberglass and wetted it out with West 
Systems epoxy. Once the smaller piece was wetted out, I removed the tape and 
laid the second, larger piece of fiberglass on top. That was wetted out, and I 
improvised a way to keep the fiberglass down in the joint of the fins and airframe
 tube. I used the brass rods on top of the peel-ply with some rubber bands, then
 applied some weights to the whole setup for curing.

Showing the rubber band pulling the brass tube into the fillet area.

The weights piled onto the brass rods to keep the joints tight while the epoxy cured.

Fiberglass trimmed around the fins, and the weights removed.
The brass rod and weights technique seemed to work quite well,
with only two small spots that look like air got into the joint.


No comments:

Post a Comment