Monday, August 22, 2011

Getting the Super Weasel Ready for 10,000 feet

I bought an Aerotech I161W to fly in the Super Weasel over PYRO's Labor Day weekend launch in Potter NY. Now that I have the AT-2B tracker in the rocket I am fairly confident that I will be able to recover it from around 6500 feet.

If that flight goes well, I also have an Aerotech I59WN-P to put into it. This motor sims to about 10,000 feet, the highest of any motor that fits into the rocket. This is a very unique motor. It is a boost-sustain motor, meaning the thrust curve looks like this:


The motor creates strong thrust for 1.5 seconds to get the rocket moving quickly, then transitions to the sustain phase with very little thrust for another 7 seconds or so. To get this burn profile, they use a conventional cored white lighting grain on the bottom of the motor, with a solid end burning grain of Warp-9 propellant on the top of the motor. The pictures show how the motor goes together.




I also tested the main and drogue ejection charges to make sure they are sized properly for the flights. Videos are found below:




No comments:

Post a Comment