Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Destroyerator Motor Mount Progress

I've slowly been making progress on the motor mount for Destroyerator's booster stage. Currently, several centering rings have been tacked in place with medium CA glue, and some epoxy fillets have been applied . I used Bob Smith Industries (BSI) 15 minute epoxy mixed with milled fiberglass for extra strength. Once applied, I used a plastic spoon to shape the epoxy into a fillet and then rotated the tube to prevent running and sagging until the epoxy set. In these pictures, the threaded rods are only temporarily slid into place.



I began fiberglassing the centering rings to the motor mount tube as well. I used "wedges" of 6 oz/sq.yrd. fiberglass to lay onto the rings and up onto the tube. This fiberglass will all be coated with West Systems epoxy once I have more. Right now it is just tacked in place with small drops of CA.





All centering rings will have fiberglass applied in this fashion on both sides, resulting in a very solid motor mount assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment